Economic Development & Tourism

Allamakee County Barn Tour

Name:  Scholtes Barn
Address:  2207 Gruber Ridge Road, Lansing
Directions:  From IA 9, about 2 miles west of Lansing, turn north onto Gruber Ridge Road, and travel 2.5 miles to the barn.
Description:  1920s barn on beautiful site dedicated to family's sheep operations.
Note:  This barn was on the Iowa Barn Foundation All-State Barn Tour in 2017.


Name:  Chimney Rock Ranch Barn
Address:  1245 Chimney Rock Road, Lansing
Directions:  From the stop light in Waukon, travel east on Elon Road leaving Waukon for about 6.8 miles.  Turn south onto Chimney Rock Road and head south.
Description:  Large building is corn crib, granary, hog barn, and machine shed which was built in 2-parts in 1907 and 1908.  The corn crib/granary has a basement for hogs.  The second part was added to the north end of the original building later that year or the next.  
Note:  This barn was on the Iowa Barn Foundation All-State Barn Tour in 2017.


Name:  Kolsrud Barn
Address:  1243 Gjefle Drive, Waukon
Directions:  From intersection IA 9 and IA 76, one mile south of Waukon,  travel 4.7 miles southeast on IA 76 toward Rossville.  About 1.7 miles before Rossville turn left on Cardinal Road (gravel).  Travel 1.1 miles curving to the north.  Turn right onto Gjefle Drive (gravel) and follow it east and northeast for a half a mile to the barn.  
Description:  Known as Jacob Johnson/Clark, the Kolsrud barn was built in 1870.  Jacob Johnson came from a Norway and purchased the barn with 80 acres in 1862.  He paid $500 for the farm. The timber used in barn was from his farm.   The rock was quarried from 100 yards away.  He used oxen in building the barn.
Note:  This barn was on the Iowa Barn Foundation All-State Barn Tour in 2017.


Name:  Reburn 12-sided Barn
Address:  1641 Pool Hill Drive, new Albin
Directions:  Located just west of the Highway 26 and Allamakee County 11 intersection south of New Albin.
Description:  This unique 12-sided, beef cattle barn was built by Tom Reburn in 1941.  Some of the timber and sheeting lumber was taken from Reburn's father's barn.  With a 46 foot diameter, the barn is capable of feeding 50 cattle at one time.  Interior of the barn has a circular feed aisle and hay mound with a circular track for the hay fork.
Note:  This barn is on National Register of Historic Places.

Translate This Page:
Top