All Allamakee County Rural School Reunion
The Allamakee County Historical Society is planning an all-county rural school reunion on Sunday, April 28. The reunion will be from 1 to 4 and held at the Allamakee County Fairgrounds Pavilion. Treats, coffee and lemonade will be served.
It is hoped that those fortunate enough to have attended one of the county's rural schools will come celebrate and share memories, stories and pictures of their educational years. The historical society will have equipment available to scan photographs of students and teachers even if they are not identified or not sure of the name of the school, no matter the condition, poems, stories, school souvenirs, certificates for attendance, reading, spelling, or anything pertaining to the one room schools in Allamakee County that you would like to have preserved to share with future generations.
Photographs and other miscellaneous items from the Allamakee County Historical Society and Genealogy Center will be on display at the pavilion.
It is being done in conjunction with the Allamakee County Historical Preservation Commission's current project to locate and identify all of the rural country schools in the county.
This year seemed an appropriate time to do the reunion as it is also the 145th birthday of the Little Red School. Originally known as Franklin #3, it is now located at the Allamakee County Fairgrounds. It will be open for tours during the reunion.
The Little Red School was constructed in early 1874. It was originally located on Smithfield Drive in Section 3 of Franklin Township. The school's first teacher was Katie McShane who began teaching Aug. 15, 1874. Its final teacher was Curtis Webster, who also taught sixth grade at West Elementary after the Red School closed.
The school closed in 1967, Originally slated to close in the spring of 1966, its closing was delayed a year when the high school burned. Everything was left in the building as it was the day it closed. It was moved to its current location in 1978 and became a museum.
It is believed that there may have been as many as 90 country schools in the county. In 1963, the Waukon Democrat listed the 30 country schools still open: Bergen, Center #2, Dorchester-Lower, Dorchester-Upper, Emmett, English Bench, Franklin #3, French Creek #1, French Creek #3, French Creek #6 Hanover #3, Hanover #4, Hanson, Harmony, Helming, Howard, Iowa River, Jefferson #4, Jefferson #7, Jefferson #8, Ludlow #1, Ludlow #2, Ludlow #3, Ludlow #4, Ludlow #7, Lycurgus, Southwest, Union Prairie #2, Washington and Wheatland.
For more information on the reunion, please contact Carolyn Clark at (563)568-3807 (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Marcia Rush at (563)880-3014 (email@example.com) or the historical society at info @allamakeehistory.org.