Positive Impact Award Winner Announced
Growing Bear Daycare owners, staff, families, support organizations, and ACED Board
The Allamakee County Economic Development (ACED) Board of Directors announced Growing Bear Daycare and Preschool, Inc as the 2018 Cloy Kuhse Positive Impact Award winner at the ACED Annual Meeting hosted in Waukon on Thursday, October 18. This annual award was created to highlight and recognize a business that is making a positive impact in Allamakee County, as well as, to honor the memory of Cloy Kuhse and his vision. Growing Bear now joins the list of annual award recipients including New Albin Savings Bank, Waukon Dental, Mike Ferring Construction of Waukon, TASC of Waukon, Wuennecke's Meat Market of New Albin, and Norplex-Micarta of Postville.
Val Reinke, Allamakee County Economic Development, Executive Director shared with audience, "Quality of Place is the drawing card to recruiting talent and attracting companies. Quality of Place includes housing, childcare, and transportation. Quality childcare means happy kids, parents and employers! The impact childcare has on economic development is priceless."
Waters Family - Jessie, Jaime, Lizzy, Charlie
Growing Bear Daycare and Preschool, Inc is owned by Jessie and Jaime Waters. The nomination included the following information.
- Licensed for 81 children and serves children 6 weeks to 12 years of age
- Partners with the school to offer the state-wide voluntary 4 year old preschool program
- This program follows Quality Preschool Program Standards which is a level above what is required by the state of Iowa for licensing
- A designated bus stop before and after school, which alleviates transportation issues for school-age children
- Offers 5 programs: infant, toddler, 3 year old, 4 year old and school-age
- Utilizes their resources to support the quality of care they desire, including working with Child Care Resource & Referral, Child Care Nurse Consultants, Keystone AEA, and Allamakee Community School District
- Willing to go above and beyond what is required and takes suggestions seriously to ensure quality standards are met
- Jessie Waters obtained her National Administrator's Credential (40 hour course)
- Jessie Waters is a member of National Association for the Education of Young Children
- All programs offer parent conferences
- Field trips are planned to help round out the curriculum offered
Thank you to Teri Orr, Child Care Consultant, Child Care Resource & Referral; Meagan Hammell, parent; Darla Butikofer, Childcare Nurse Consultant; and Beth Hanisch, Regional Child Care Consultant, Infant/Toddler Specialty for your time and effort with this nomination and for taking the time to attend the award presentation. The support of Jessie and Jaime's family, daycare families, and staff was inspiring!